Sunday, January 16, 2011

CMMG Evolution 22lr conversion review



I recently tested a stainless steel CMMG evolution 22lr kit that comes with the forward assist adapter, last round bolt hold adapter, and anti-jam charging handle.

First impressions; the bolt, rail and chamber adapter are very well made, certainly on par with the tacsol I had before.

The charging handle, forward assist and bolt hold open adapter are all made out of plastic/polymer or something. I was a little disappointed by this considering the price of the kit. The moving parts of the bolt hold open are metal, so I guess it'll be good enough. I'm not sure what makes the charging handle anti-jam, but I don't plan on using it unless I have issues w my standard charging handle.

**UPDATE ON CHARGING HANDLE**
**I have yet to have any jams on the stainless conversion kit with either the standard charging handle or the BCM gunfighter. I have, however had one jam on a steel/parkerized model. So I now see the need for the anti-jam charging handle on at least the steel conversion kit (I'd still like to see an alloy anti-jam handle though)
**

Mags. The CMMG mags felt well made, as good if not better than black dog mags, and they worked well. They were super tight going into the magwell and required a ton of force to insert and remove. Upon closer look a the directions, there are two tabs on the rear of the magazine that require filing to fit well. Two minutes later I had no issues.

Range test: I used my RRA AR with a 16" Daniel defense barrel w a 1:7 twist rate. Ammo was 38gr American eagle. My main goal was to test the function/reliability of the kit as well as the accuracy of the 1:7 twist.

I put 200 rounds through the kit with zero issues. The bolt hold open worked great, though it's a little sensitive. When I was forcing/slapping the tight mag into the gun, the bolt would sometimes slam forward chambering a round. With some adjustment to the bolt hold open adapter, all issues were fixed. I never had issues with rounds chambering, so I never used the forward assist.

Accuracy was very good considering I thought it would be terrible with the 1:7 twist. At 50yards, I was holding 2-4" groups. Certainly not the type of accuracy I can get out of my 10/22, but good enough for training.

Conclusion: I sold my "more accurate" tacsol upper because it didn't allow me to use all of the AR controls. I wanted a cheap way to shoot and train with my AR. This conversion kit provided perfect AR functionality, 100% reliability, and very respectable accuracy. Well worth the investment.

Cost was $220 for the kit and one mag, and an additional $56 for two extra mags. By the time I shoot through 2-1/2 bricks of ammo, it will have paid for itself.

Lessons learned. Don't spend the money on the charging handle and buy the speed loader (the mags can be a pain to load).

Here are some 25M shots taken from a bench rest:
















Some shots at 50m:

2 comments:

  1. The antijam charging handle is 'filled in' under the guide. This is to prevent a 22 case from getting jammed under there on a bad extract, it's rare but apparently can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand it's purpose, I would have preferred a standard aluminum charging handle w/ the shallow machine slot. My Tactical Solutions Upper had a dedicated .22 aluminum charging handle (granted it was not an anti-jam), so I know it can be done.

    ReplyDelete